There is no shortage of trucking dispatch software on the market. The right option for you depends on your particular budget, business model and goals. As you shop around, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
These features are vital if you’d like to streamline your trucking dispatch operations and in turn, increase revenue.
- Real-time monitoring: With real-time monitoring via GPS, dispatchers, customers and managers will always be up to date on ongoing deliveries. This allows for transparency regarding routes and package locations.
- Route planning and automatic scheduling: Route planning and automatic scheduling can help you make the most of your resources. You’ll have complete control of driver schedules and time-off requests.
- Fuel management: A fuel management feature is designed to monitor fuel consumption and costs. Its purpose is to improve efficiency and save you money on fuel.
- Digital documentation: The software needs to provide a place to store essential documents such as BOLs (Bill of Lading) and PODs (Proof of Delivery). This way all relevant parties can easily access them as needed.
- Onboarding and training: Drivers should be able to go through the onboarding and training process remotely. An onboarding and training feature can allow them to do so and eliminate the cost and time commitment associated with in-person training.
- Integrations: Chances are you use a number of tools to keep your business running smoothly. Make sure the trucking dispatch solution you choose can integrate seamlessly with them.
- ELD compliance: Find a trucking dispatch software that can help you stay compliant and provide HOS RODS, or hours-of-service records of duty status. Otherwise, you may face costly fines and a damaged reputation.
Ease of Use
To take full advantage of a trucking dispatch software, drivers, managers and other key players must know how to use it. If you opt for a complicated platform, it will overwhelm your team and do more harm than good. Instead, invest in a robust yet easy-to-use solution with an intuitive interface. Fortunately, many products offer free demos and free trials so you can get an idea of ease of use before you make a commitment.
If you have one or two trucks now but have plans to grow your trucking fleet, scalability should be top of mind. With a scalable software, you’ll be able to easily add drivers, vehicles, equipment and more as your business takes on new opportunities. A trucking dispatch solution is a long-term investment, so think ahead and make sure it meets your short- and long-term needs.
Even if you choose an easy-to-use, straightforward trucking dispatch platform, you’ll likely require assistance at some point in time. Search for a solution that offers excellent customer support. Features such as live chat, email and phone support, and a self-serve knowledge base, can all come in handy when you have issues or questions.